Languedoc AOP
Languedoc is an appellation in the wine region of Languedoc-Roussillon in southwest France. Reds, rosés and whites are produced here; about 75% of the total production is red, while the remaining 25% is split between rosé and white.

This is a warm Mediterranean climate, with ample precipitation along with cooling maritime breezes. Soils vary from pebbles and sandstone to marl and clay, resulting in a fine land in which to grow numerous varieties. There are more than 50 different varieties; some of which are planted in tiny amounts. The most widely used are: Syrah; Grenache; Mourvedre, Carignan and Cinsault for the reds, with Grenache Blanc, Bourboulenc, Marsanne, Roussanne, Vermentino and Ugni Blanc for the whites.

Reds are medium-bodied, with distinct spice, excellent ripeness and good acidity. Most are meant for consumption within three to five years of their vintage, while the best drink well for up to a decade, and are best paired with red meats, dishes with mushrooms and game. Rosés work well with salads, Oriental cuisine and poultry, while the local whites, meant for youthful consumption, are a perfect match with shellfish.

Prices on the wines range from the mid-teens to the mid-20s, with a select few priced anywhere from $35 to $75. (Wine/Appellations)